Dining at Tel Aviv University
Tel Aviv is a large, cosmopolitan city, but it is also possible to economize. Plan to spend up to $1,200 USD per month for food, independent travel, and other expenses. Allow about twice as much for the first month to cover initial purchases.
Each building has its own cafeteria. Go and explore your culinary choices! Here are some recommended options:
- Aroma: Coffee shop in the ANU Museum of the Jewish People (near the TAU Lowy International School office).
- Main cafeteria area: in the Law building (McDonalds, salad bar, Italian food, etc.)
- Coffee Star: Coffee shop, hummus, sandwiches, salads, etc. across the road from the main cafeteria.
- Cafeneto: Coffee, salad bar, sandwiches, lunch and more at Gilman building.
- Japanika: Sushi, noodles and other Asian food, right outside the TAU main gate.
- Mahsanei Lahav Store: Einstein St. Open Sun-Thurs: 7:00am-11:00pm and Fri: 7:00am-3pm.
- Shufersal: On Brodetsky St, near Ramat Aviv mall and on 1st floor of the mall. Sun-Thurs: 7:00am-11:00pm, Fri: 8:00am-2:00pm. Brodetsky is also open after Shabbat ends (Saturday evening).
- Victory: Broshim dorms shopping center. Open Sun-Tue: 7:30am-9:00pm, Wed-Thu: 7:30am-10:00pm, Fri: 7:00 am - two hours before Shabbat begins.
- SuperYuda: Bart St. 6, a bit more expensive than other supermarkets but open 24/7.
Dining at Columbia University
Columbia Dining Services maintains 11 dining facilities conveniently located on campus. Each location accepts cash, as well as credit cards, Dining Dollars, and Flex for quick cashless transactions.
Dining Dollars allow you to create a tax-free declining balance account for food and beverage purchases.
A Flex Account is a similar, although not tax-free, account that can be used at on-campus dining locations, the University Bookstore, select vending machines, the self-service copiers in the libraries, and on-campus laundry facilities. Flex Accounts are also accepted at many off-campus establishments, including restaurants, grocery stores, and drug stores, and can be used to order takeout through GrubHub.
An overview of locations, hours, dining plans, Dining Dollars, and Flex is available on the Dining Services website. You can sign up for Dining Dollars and/or a Flex Account in SSOL, in person at 118 Hartley Hall or 204 Kent Hall, or with a cashier at any on-campus dining location.
Locations and Hours
Please visit the Columbia Dining website for a list of locations and hours.
The University offers several dining plans consisting of all-you-care-to-eat meals at John Jay Dining Hall, Ferris Booth Commons, or JJ's Place. All meals are accessed by University ID card and billed to the Columbia student account.
Microwaves are available for general use in the following locations:
- Dodge Hall (Joe Coffee)
- Uris Hall (Deli)
Columbia University Dining Services
118 Hartley Hall